go to vampirefreaks main page

vampirefreaks messageboard
   > Food and Health

New Topic New Poll

-Spencer-
[forum info] [PM]

Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you?
April 04, 2012, 08:07pm
|
Before I get the whole "no matter what the amount is, smoking is bad" stuff, I just want to say I know it is bad for you and I'm aware of the risks.

So recently I've been smoking about 1-2 cigarettes a day and sometimes there will be days I don't smoke one at all. So I know I'm not "addicted." I went a whole week without them and didn't feel a single craving for them and I know if I never could smoke one again I know I could stop today. But I'm not going to lie smoking a cigarette relaxes me and calms me down from stress. So in all honesty how harmful really is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day for you?

DiscipleOfTheWatch

[forum info] [PM]
Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? April 05, 2012, 12:30pm
|

There is a loose link between quantity of cigarettes smoked and risk of contracting smoking related diseases, however you have to remember that it is never that straight-cut; there are genetic and an infinite number of other environmental factors involved.

For instance, it is possible for a light smoker to contract the same diseases as a heavy smoker in the same time period. A very small number of long term smokers will not have noticeable health effects, whereas some people only subjected to passive smoke may develop cancer. Whilst there is probably data out there that could give you an average risk for a person of your pack/year history, there's no certain way to work out whether you could be that 1 in x that does contract an illness.

Obviously it is better to be smoking small numbers of cigarettes rather than large numbers. However, whilst you may only be smoking 'one or two' now, the receptors in your brain that respond to the nicotine will gradually become desensitised, meaning that you will require a greater number of cigarettes to achieve the same effect in the future.

There are better ways out there to relieve stress than a pastime that kills half of its long term users!

BadTrash

[forum info] [PM]
Bonjo

Queen Weirdo

Commander Modesty
Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? April 13, 2012, 01:56pm
|

Yes. But how bad, depends on which type you smoke and how you smoke.
Pre-rolled cigarettes(like marlboro for example) are designed to last approximately one minute and use a huge number of chemicals to keep the cig burning, evening and at the desired rate, in all but the most extreme conditions. There are chemicals in the tobacco and the paper casing, both use a myriad of harmful, toxic and carcinogenic chemicals.
Loose rolling tobacco is healthier and the electric vaporiser healthier still.
It also depends on your genes and surroundings. Some people can live unaffected while others are ravaged by disease, due to one or more of these chemicals and the manner in which they're absorbed.
It's a chance type game.

I would agree with anyone telling you to simply avoid it, while you can do it relatively effortlessly. I've smoked since a young age and now finding it very tough to stop, i'm literally a slave to nicotine. And it's pathetic. I literally get fevers and powerful negative mood swings when i go cold turkey or have to go more than a day without smoking. I shit you not, it's one of the most addictive drugs on earth and arguably the hardest to kick(especially cold turkey), i've heard life long heroin addicts say heroin is a piece of piss to kick compared to nicotine.

Take with a pinch of salt.

Doc_Holliday

[forum info] [PM]
aka: Jake From State Farm
I'm also a French Model. Bonjour.

Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? April 24, 2012, 05:53am
|

1-2 a day; probably not.

Will you be able to stay at that level for the forseeable future; probably not.

“Doubt fucks everything. Take a foundation, no matter how strong, sprinkle generously with doubt, and watch it crumble. Me? I’m unfuckwithable."

SexAndCigarettes

[forum info] [PM]
Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? April 24, 2012, 10:07am
|

i smoke pretty close to that. i usually dont light up until i first get in my car in the mornings, and if not not lollygagging around town its usually only 1 more on the drive back.
when i was younger i was a 7-10 cigarettes a day person.

ive had my lungs checked and they are fine, but it would be best to ask a professional in the field and deal with the whole "you shouldn't smoke anyways" talk

but i don't think its that bad for you if its a small number.

MadameZombie

[forum info] [PM]

One of Kelly's new favourites!
Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? April 25, 2012, 12:18am
|

Interesting fact- a doctor does not consider you a smoker unless you are smoking at least 10 a day.

Or so I have been told by any doctor booking me into a hospital when I divulged my occasional cigarette-so-I-don't-binge habit.

MORKET

[forum info] [PM]
Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? June 07, 2012, 05:07am
|

do not smoke but the same evil ... smoking is bad forever ...

+Livet Er Bare Forberedelse Til Døden+ viking

MandiiTrueBear

[forum info] [PM]
Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? August 08, 2012, 04:13pm
|

I could be wrong, but this is to my knowledge true, and also things from my experience.
I've found that smoking helps with blood flow. I also thought that it helped with stress but I was informed that it was the deep breathes you take when you inhale that help. I know that menthol helps with pain, like eye pain,teeth pain like when you get races tightened, and sinus headaches. Surgeon General says its not healthy, but I personally think that it isn't too bad.

DiscipleOfTheWatch

[forum info] [PM]
Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? August 11, 2012, 06:14am
|

MadameZombie "a doctor does not consider you a smoker unless you are smoking at least 10 a day."
What you mean is that that one doctor didn't consider you a smoker (probably wrongly). Please don't generalise for the entire medical profession.

MandiiTrueBear "I've found that smoking helps with blood flow."
Please explain.
Smoking doesn't help with blood flow, in the longer term it does the opposite by encouraging the build-up of arterial plaques which restrict flow, leading to heart attacks, peripheral vascular disease (why many long-term smokers have limbs amputated) etc.

"Surgeon General says its not healthy, but I personally think that it isn't too bad."
Yeah, he's basing his recommendation on the absolute fuck-ton of evidence linking it to cancer, heart disease, COPD etc (50% of smokers die from smoking-related disease). What are you basing your opinion on?

Vampariah

[forum info] [PM]
Axis Owns
Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? October 31, 2012, 11:45am
|

It's more of a shock to the system.

Normocytic_Anemia

[forum info] [PM]
Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? April 22, 2013, 01:12am
|

I don't even know where to begin.
I won't go into detail with the risks of smoking since it could take pages and pages and it wouldn't end. It does go far beyond the obvious lung problems though, you could get oral cancer, throat cancer, damage your teeth, neurological problems (specially related to monoamine oxidase A), AND you double the risk for cervical cancer.

I won't start a full anti-smoking campaign here or anything, anyone is free to do what they like with their bodies.
The quantity doesn't change the IF factor, but the WHEN.
1-2 a day is still pretty bad.
If you want to deal with stress try drinking tea or taking up a hobby.
Good luck and may you lead a healthy life.

Doc_Holliday

[forum info] [PM]
aka: Jake From State Farm
I'm also a French Model. Bonjour.

Is smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day really that bad for you? April 22, 2013, 02:02am
|

this thread is almost exactly a year old folks.

Vote Quimby

vampirefreaks messageboard - Food and Health

The VF Cook Book ( page 2 3 4 ) Last Comment by Jessicat27
Asian food. Last Comment by XxShadowofDeathxX
The wonders of coconut oil Last Comment by NeonToxicDan
The wonders of coconut oil
Parkinson's and seizures? Last Comment by scarletfang
Jump To:

[ VF Points: 0 ]   [ Points Today: ]
[ Terms of Service ] [ About ] [ Getting Started ] [ FAQ ] [ Privacy Policy ]
© VampireFreaks.com / Synth-tec Inc. 2014   All Rights Reserved