Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding
March 20, 2012, 10:16pm
| (1)
The AAP states mom should breast feed for twelve months. The WHO suggests upward of two years and beyond.

hmm I find the image of a toddler breastfeeding a bit strange.

Mothers, how long did you breast feed?

BRAIN DAMAGE

Lyss

[forum info] [PM]
All hail Queen Lyss
First VF staff member to be paid actual money.
Bad Wolf
Breast feeding March 21, 2012, 06:55am
|

Jason you're bordering on creepy right now. Let the lady with the boobs figure out how long she wants to breastfeed her kid if at all.

A-pathetic_worm

[forum info] [PM]
Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding March 21, 2012, 09:10am
|

I'm not being creepy. I am just intrigued. I recently learned the actual importance of breastfeeding.

I knew of the health benefits such as immunity and allergy, but I recently read more of the overall benefits. Breastfeeding increases intelligence, reduces the chance of SIDS, reduces obesity and allows for higher social functioning. It can also be used as an antibiotic, such as clearing up baby's eye irritation or used to clean out baby's nose.

Even if I am coming off creepy, I really don't care, this isn't about me.

BRAIN DAMAGE

titansfaninva

[forum info] [PM]
Call me Tits

Alfie
Breast feeding March 21, 2012, 11:23am
|

Breastfeeding increases intelligence, reduces the chance of SIDS, reduces obesity and allows for higher social functioning.

Somehow, I don't buy that in its entirety. Maybe the SIDS and MAYBE intelligence. But I'd buy that it's only correlative.

I'd think a breast-feeding (vs. bottle-feeding) mother is more likely to be more involved with her child, from a bare statistics perspective. Which would then more directly relate to reduced social functionability and behavioral health issues.

I WANT PROOF DAMMIT.

tumblr

"Women. They are a complete mystery" Stephen Hawking

Katie

[forum info] [PM]
Sassy Black Woman
David's katiebear
psycho empress

Breast feeding March 21, 2012, 11:51am
|

I breast fed for about 5 months. We only stopped b/c the moment Molly started to cut a tooth, she wanted nothing to do with boob. It was formula from then on.

I'll address the rest of this later.

blah blah blah

A-pathetic_worm

[forum info] [PM]
Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding March 21, 2012, 10:54pm
|

New studies show that nurturing a baby, holding a baby and a lot of one on one time will actually increase a child's confidence and independence. Opposite of what people actually think or pass on to their child.

In regards to the studies that I had read about the benefits of breastfeeding, I'll post some sources/links when I have more time.

BRAIN DAMAGE

Katie

[forum info] [PM]
Sassy Black Woman
David's katiebear
psycho empress

Breast feeding March 22, 2012, 01:44am
|

Yes, there are definitely benefits, but it's not your decision whether she breast feeds or not. And pressuring her about it, at all, is going to turn out VERY bad for you.
Some women have no trouble at all with breast feeding. Some have to work very hard to get to a point where the baby will latch and even then, it can be very hard. Add to that problems with milk production and it can be an incredibly stressful experience. Don't try to pressure her. Seriously. Let her make that decision for herself.

blah blah blah

Lyss

[forum info] [PM]
All hail Queen Lyss
Bad Wolf
Breast feeding March 22, 2012, 09:43am
|

Jason, I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, and understand I have a huge amount of respect for young men who want to help raise their kids, but there are a ton of things that actually are not your decision. Some things are very personal decisions for a woman and a mother to make. Things that honestly only involve the mother and child are between them and you can't expect to change them. I promise you that if I had any feelings one way or another about breastfeeding, and my boyfriend/fiancÚ/husband/whatever tried to tell me what he thought was best... That would be the biggest fight EVER.

You can have an opinion on things, but keep them to yourself. She wants a natural birth? Let her do it. Water birth? Go for it. All the drugs? By all means. Doesn't want to breastfeed? A-Okay. She's carrying an infant for nine months in her body, then forcing it out of her ladyparts. She gets to make these kinds of decisions. Try and change that and you will make all of your lives miserable.

A-pathetic_worm

[forum info] [PM]
Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding March 22, 2012, 10:40am
|

Lyss, as much as I like to think that I have a major role in such decisions, I know that it is her body and that the child carrying and birthing is 90% her (for lack of a better
word) burden. I am backing her and supporting her choices, desires and needs. I am just happily finding information regarding the act of parenting and presenting her with it in
a tactful manner.

I promise the last thing I am going to do
is pressure her into doing something that will result in her
getting injured or make her even the least bit uncomfortable. As much
as I love this child, I love her,and as I take the role of father very seriously, I won't slacken on my role as boyfriend/mate.

She has already expressed her desire to breastfeed, she too is reading as much material related to parenthood as I am, if not more. Although the material I find is very helpful, I would also like feedback from other mothers in a real time manner.

lol The only thing that I may provide pressure for is her some of her eating habits in regards to nutrition and supplement intake. She being a vegetarian, obviously doesn't eat meat, so I try to get her to try different foods to reach her 70 grams of protein daily. I even got her to eat fish (She already eats chicken occasionally prior to pregnancy).

I am just concerned with the well being of the child and the
girl. I want my child to have two healthy parents to grow up
with.

BRAIN DAMAGE

A-pathetic_worm

[forum info] [PM]
Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding March 22, 2012, 11:20am
|

Study of correlation between breastfeeding and intelligence.

More info regarding above study subject. Here they state that there may be method errors.

Some breastfeeding facts/bullet points. Including intelligence.

Information regarding holding a child a lot and the social consequence.

More information regarding attachment and social development

BRAIN DAMAGE

Lyss

[forum info] [PM]
All hail Queen Lyss
Bad Wolf
Breast feeding March 22, 2012, 12:25pm
|

Yeah, see if she's open to supplements of nutrients found in meat. Like B vitamins and such. There's a brand called Nature's Valley (I think) that is a little pricey, but is derived from natural sources instead of synthetic sources. Though really there are plenty vegetarians that have healthy children without changing her diet.

I'd say go speak to her doctor together and raise any concerns you have there. That way you have a professional's opinion on what she should do as far as diet, and she may be more apt to listen to it coming from her doctor.

A-pathetic_worm

[forum info] [PM]
Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding March 23, 2012, 12:19pm
|

As of now, she is getting her necessary allotment of vitamins and minerals. She had low Iron to begin with, but we are being
conscious of our eating habits.

I'm happy that we are trying to get her nutrients through actual food and not just relying on supplements, but I will look into your suggestion, she'd like that, considering it is natural and suitable for vegetarians.

BRAIN DAMAGE

Lyss

[forum info] [PM]
All hail Queen Lyss
Bad Wolf
Breast feeding March 23, 2012, 12:21pm
|

Well....... B vitamins mostly come from animals, and therefore is something vegetarians lack. So if it's naturally derived, it's not entirely vegetarian.

A-pathetic_worm

[forum info] [PM]
Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding March 23, 2012, 12:29pm
|

Yeah, but she isn't fully vegetarian, she cheats.

She is a "oh, animals are mistreated" kind of vegetarian, so when something is treated humanely or naturally, she is more apt to eat it.

hmm She and I couldn't be more different. Add a good veg and I'll eat any animal.

BRAIN DAMAGE

Lyss

[forum info] [PM]
All hail Queen Lyss
Bad Wolf
Breast feeding March 23, 2012, 12:31pm
|

Maybe look into local meat from farms? It'd probably be better for her than just supplements.

titansfaninva

[forum info] [PM]
Call me Tits

Alfie
Breast feeding March 23, 2012, 01:28pm
|

You should make her fall in love with you again and introduce marmite into her diet.

:-)

tumblr

A-pathetic_worm

[forum info] [PM]
Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding March 24, 2012, 01:52am
|

I want to raise my own chickens. I hear fresh chicken grown completely natural, tastes better than the mass produced store
bought kind.

What does marmite taste like?

BRAIN DAMAGE

titansfaninva

[forum info] [PM]
Call me Tits

Alfie
Breast feeding March 24, 2012, 01:59am
|

It grosses a lot of people out. Dunno how to describe it. Molasses-ey.

I love it on Carr's Table Water Crackers.

tumblr

A-pathetic_worm

[forum info] [PM]
Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding March 24, 2012, 02:13am
|

Does it have the consistency of peanut butter?

BRAIN DAMAGE

Lyss

[forum info] [PM]
All hail Queen Lyss
Bad Wolf
Breast feeding March 24, 2012, 09:07am
|

Home raised chickens are a lot tougher than store bought. Other than that they're pretty much the same though. hmm

Katie

[forum info] [PM]
Sassy Black Woman
David's katiebear
psycho empress

Breast feeding March 24, 2012, 08:03pm
|

Marmite and Vegemite gross me out. lol omg GAG!

blah blah blah

Katie

[forum info] [PM]
Sassy Black Woman
David's katiebear
psycho empress

Breast feeding March 24, 2012, 10:29pm
|

Noooo they're HORRIBLE! They smell like death. lol

blah blah blah

A-pathetic_worm

[forum info] [PM]
Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding March 25, 2012, 03:25pm
|

The average breastfeeding length of time in industrial nations
is four months.

The average for pre-industrial is two to three years.

BRAIN DAMAGE

A-pathetic_worm

[forum info] [PM]
Walking disaster area
VF's
BESTEST
Douchebag
Massive gaylord

Breast feeding March 27, 2012, 09:57pm
|

hmm

When it comes to the well being of a child, does the condition of your tits really matter?

BRAIN DAMAGE
Nattodesu
[forum info] [PM]

RT's Resident Wampire
No vacancies!

Breast feeding March 28, 2012, 07:20am
|

Jason, I really admire your eagerness to be involved in everything, but do NOT get involved with labour or breast feeding decisions. At all. Even just to present information.

Breast feeding is a really tricky subject, and one that you won't ever understand without your own set. Some women will never produce enough milk to feed their babies, some babies will never properly latch, for some women breastfeeding is torturous and they simply can't take it, some women's milk dries up only a few months in, some babies reject the boob a couple of months in. Even your lady won't necessarily have control over how long she breast feeds. You telling her how long breast feeding is recommended isn't going to change anything.

Squishorz

[forum info] [PM]
Breast feeding April 11, 2012, 08:27am
|

I found it extremely hard to get my son latched on, and the midwives in the hospital were not very helpful. I had an emergency section and therefore couldn't physically move for a day, I think they were just to lazy to help me get him to feed off me.
They gave him formula in the hosp, and it broke my heart as I felt like I couldn't give him the best start.
I kept trying though, every time before I gave the bottle I would try my breast, and eventually he began to take enough from me that I didn't need to give him formula.
It took me 2 weeks to get him properly latched, and believe me it was hard and sore.
I am so glad I stuck at it, I love feeding him and not having to steralise bottles is great.
I was advised to do it for atleast 6 months - to 1 year.

:

Nekinnna2402

[forum info] [PM]
Breast feeding May 06, 2012, 06:49pm
|

Breastfed for 27 months so past 2 years.

Be prepared for hard times in the start - latch on, pain, etc

Growth spurts - honestly don't remember how often they happen but i know there are at about 4ish weeks, baby eat a lot and still seems hungry and stuff which makes mom feel like she isn't producing enough.

Ups and downs in production, breasts adjust to how much go out so more baby drinks, more milk you get kind of deal. So its normal to have dips, if she's worried she could take extra suppliments such as fenigreek or eat oat, for example.

Read, read and read.
I'd recommend checking out kellymom.com since they tend to have very good information.
Same with justmommies.com's breastfeeding subforum.

Alomomola

[forum info] [PM]
Breast feeding February 22, 2013, 02:54pm
|

I plan to breastfeed my children for at LEAST 2 years.
I know a woman, who is still breastfeeding her 3 year old.
I know another who is with her 4 year old.

The natural weaning age is between 4-7.

Katie

[forum info] [PM]
Sassy Black Woman
David's katiebear
psycho empress

Breast feeding February 22, 2013, 04:07pm
|

The natural weaning age is between 4-7

o.O citation, please.

I hope you're able to breastfeed until your children are 2. Sometimes that's not an option and women who aren't able shouldn't be made to feel like shit about it.

blah blah blah
nbhtvcxdhbv hbvdsawer tttygvbg bvvvv bvttyddlkhhhvbgh6g7bv8 bh

Alomomola

[forum info] [PM]
Breast feeding February 22, 2013, 04:24pm
|

No. No one should be made to feel like shit for breastfeeding/not breastfeeding. Your body, your boobs, your choice.

MissBridgett

[forum info] [PM]
Hobbit
Tiffy's Adopted Sistah
Crucafix

Breast feeding February 24, 2013, 09:03am
|

I was only able to pump for my daughter for 3 weeks.

I was pumping every 2 hours save for a 4 hour period at night where she slept. I never got more than 4oz between both breasts at it's maximum production and only got 2oz at the end.

She was eating 4oz from about 4 weeks on. She is now 3 months and eats 6oz of formula.

My OB and her Pediatrician think that because of the trauma to my body from her birth and that I didn't start producing until she was 3 days old my body just shut it down and couldn't do it.

1 2 NEXT>

Leave a comment:
Subject:
Comment:
Preview    Include Signature   

[ Show Emotes ] [ Edit Signature ]

vampirefreaks messageboard - Parenting and Pets

submissive dog Last Comment by A-pathetic_worm
Pet Pigs Last Comment by RayneCosplay
Post your adorable pets **HERE** ( page 2 3 4 ) Last Comment by jack.creed
PSA for dog owners... Last Comment by scarletfang
Pregnant and want to talk to others who have expierianced it Last Comment by theINFAMOUSwolf
Jump To:

[ VF Points: 0 ]   [ Points Today: ]
[ Terms of Service ] [ About ] [ Getting Started ] [ FAQ ] [ Privacy Policy ]
© VampireFreaks.com / Synth-tec Inc. 2014   All Rights Reserved